Eva's philosophies on a balanced lifestyle, body image and words of wisdom.

14 08 11 eva1

Eva Redpath is a fitness trainer, model, spokesperson and women’s wellness coach with an energy and drive like no other. Splitting her time between leading signature classes at Equinox to traveling to Nike Headquarters as Canada’s first and only Nike Master Trainer, she often works 12-hours days with little to no downtime. To fuel her body and keep a stellar-looking physique, she follows a clean, energizing diet. We spoke with her to get her story and wellness secrets.

How do you squeeze in your own workouts when you’re constantly leading classes, meeting with private clients or attending photo shoots?

E.R.: While my days might be jammed with training and other commitments, there’s always room for a workout. It’s definitely a priority, so I make it work – no matter what!  Some days, I’ll stay after class and do a quick workout or crank up the tunes and blast out some quick cardio mixed with core work. Other days, I’ll make a date with friends or block-off an hour in my calendar (early morning or late night).  So long as I do something active every day for myself, I feel 100% more motivated to keep doing what I’m doing. 

Do you feel pressure to be a certain size or shape in your industry?

E.R.: As a dancer for most of my life, I come from an industry where maintaining a certain body image wasn’t always done in the healthiest ways.  But I’m doing my best to shift those negative notions.  Sure, I see some unhealthy habits (ie: juice cleanses for days, eliminating carbs, etc.) in my business, but I do what I can to live my life as an example of what I consistently tell my clients, friends and colleagues:  Be your best self through a healthy lifestyle!  Eat real, wholesome food, get adequate sleep and drink lots of water.  Be active and do something that brings you joy every day. I want women to be the most vibrant and healthy they can be. It's not about body image--it's about being knowledgeably healthy and active, no matter what size or shape.

For women seeking a lean, strong and super-amazing physique like your’s -you say…

E.R.: Start by living a healthy balanced lifestyle, including exercise, clean eating and positive frame of mind. Set goals, be clear on your intentions, what motivates you; be dedicated and the rest will follow.
Also, don’t be afraid to take risks! Open yourself up to a change and accept the need to change. If you are already into strength training, for example, great! Why not take your routine up a notch? Try increasing the weight you’re lifting, doing one more rep, or concentrating purely on form. 

Where diet is concerned, commit to consuming more greens at every meal – or make a healthy juice instead. Where possible, track your progress! Keep a food journal or make simple notes.  Break your goals down into mini-ones so that you can reward your success each step of the way.  Achieving a lean, strong physique is not about perfection. It’s about setting realistic goals with commitment and persistence!

14 08 11 eva2

Things you wish someone told you about your industry before you got started:

E.R.: A tough one, but it’s true: You have to do 80% of the work to get to the 20% of the work that you really like! Meaning, expect to work hard – like really hard.  But it’ll all work out in the end.

Role models or mentors?

E.R.: Definitely my mom, who always said I COULD when others said I couldn't. For fitness, it’s got to be Jane Fonda. I remember dressing up in the orginial "aerobics gear" and sweating it out with my older sister to her Total Body Sculpting tapes!

Quotes I like to have as a daily guide:

E.R.: “You can feel sore tomorrow or you can feel sorry tomorrow. You choose.”

“Every excuse is a choice to fail”

“The voice in your head that says that you can’t do this is a LIAR”

“If you still look cute at the end of your workout, you didn’t train hard enough”

“Take a moment, pause, reflect and be thankful”

Clean eating all the time, we get it! But how about your favourite ‘cheat’ foods..?

E.R.: I eat clean 80% of the time, and the other 20% I "treat" myself. There is a difference. I work hard and therefore don't consider it cheating. That being said, if I'm going to eat a burger, cookie or dark piece of chocolate (a few of my favs) then I’m going to choose the absolute best quality. If I'm going to indulge it better be worth it! Some of my other favourite healthier treats include Luna and Larry’s Coconut Bliss Ice Cream, dark chocolate covered pretzels, Sha Sha Snap Ginger Snap cookies and Justin’s Peanut Butter Cup Perfection.